Napier Park Revitalisation Project
About the project
Napier Park, Strathmore
Napier Park, Strathmore, Victoria, Australia
Stormwater sustains the revitalising of Napier Park
When Theodore Napier donated 40,000 square metres of woodland to Essendon Council in 1920, he did so under the proviso that the grand old river red gums and landscape would be preserved.
Now called Napier Park, this area is one of only a few in Melbourne where you can see this special protected community of vegetation called ‘Plains Grassy Woodland’.
Unfortunately in the 1960’s, the standard approach to stormwater management was to direct it underground. As a result, the park received less water and the vegetation suffered, particularly the river red gums. This impact was multiplied by drought conditions.
To revitalise the park’s vegetation, Moonee Valley set out to recreate the seasonal water course which flowed through the park after rain.
This meant bringing stormwater to the ground surface and directing it through a vegetated swale that removes pollutants and slows the water, allowing it to infiltrate into surrounding soil. The treated stormwater is collected in an underground tank and then used throughout the park to recharge soil moisture levels.
As well as providing a sustainable water source to irrigate these important trees, the swale improves stormwater quality before it flows into Five Mile Creek. It also provides a sustainable water source for the park’s vegetation and improves canopy cover, creates more habitat within the park and gives park visitors and local residents an opportunity to connect to nature.
- Enhances habitat
- Reduces temperature extremes
- Increases property value
Images courtesy Peter Eldridge